Shaved Radish & Beet Salad
This is such a beautiful salad and is made in minutes—it also makes the growing number of raw food aficionados happy and is a super way to show off your beet crop.
Serves 4 as a starter
- 8 French breakfast radishes
- 1 red beet, such as Boltardy
- 1 yellow beet, such as Golden Globe
- 1 Chioggia beet
- a few sprigs of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- arugula leaves, golden marjoram, and chervil, to serve
For the Dressing:
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Forum Chardonnay white vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Season to taste and set aside.
Just before serving, wash the radishes and beets. Shave each one into thin rounds on a mandoline. Toss the lot with the parsley and dress lightly with most of the dressing.
Arrange the slices of beet and radish on white plates, overlapping haphazardly. Drizzle over the remaining dressing and top with a few arugula leaves, golden marjoram, and chervil. (You may not need all the dressing depending on the size of the beets.)
Recipe reprinted with permission from “Grow Cook Nourish” by Darina Allen. Photography by Clare Winfield. Published by Kyle Books.